A small town with a big character, and a charming colonial city that belies a modern sophistication; San Miguel de Allende is a wonderful Old World retreat.
Cradled by the Sierra Madre Occidental mountains on the Bajio ridge in the central north state of Guanajuato, San Miguel de Allende is also well connected to Mexico City and a popular place for weekenders fleeing the capital. Adding to the town’s credit is a large US expat community that have chosen to retire here, in turn attesting to its super laid-back atmosphere.
A cultural hub where lots come to study the language or take art classes, the historic quarter is an enchanting rainbow maze of baroque, neo-gothic and neoclassical urban mansions, cobbled streets, courtyards, plazas and churches. Small enough to simply stroll around, San Miguel de Allende was also an important city in the Mexican War of Independence and is steeped in captivating history.There are also a number of great restaurants, good places to shop, architecture and murals to gaze at, and if there at the right time, some exuberant festivals to attend.
What to do
- Some fantastic shopping and fine restaurants
- Explore the cobbled colonial maze with one of our expert guides
- Climb to El Mirador for striking sunset views over the city
- Art classes
- Hot Springs
- Visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Atotonilco el Grande
- Excursions to Dolores Hidalgo, Guanajuato § Queretaro
- Horse riding, balloon rides, Mexican cooking lessons, and spas
Itineraries including San Miguel de Allende
Whatever you want your luxury tour or safari itinerary to include, we’ll create something fully bespoke for you… and only you.
Accommodation in San Miguel de Allende
Here are some of our travel designers' favourite options