Just an hour and a half drive south-east of Mexico City is Puebla, the country’s fourth largest city and which lies in a valley ringed by impressive, snow-capped mountains and volcanoes.
Once one of the most important cities strategically to the conquistadors, Puebla is steeped in history and features some striking architecture (its historic old town is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site). In fact, the city has since fashioned itself into quite a unique cultural corner in Mexico; playing host to the Cinco de Mayo celebrations, where Mole Poblano (thick, spicy sauce) originated, the beautiful Talavera tiles are produced, and is also now home to a strong arts and literary scene thanks to its universities, not to mention the awesome remains of the Tepanapa pyramid (bigger than Egypt’s Cheops pyramid) in the adjacent town of Cholula.
When to go
Because the region of Puebla features changing altitudes, temperatures tend to change from place to place. In the city, the weather tends to be temperate with an annual average of 17.5°c (63.5°f).
What to do
- Comprehensive private tours of the historical district with one of our expert, local guides to see such like the Cathedral and the stunning Rosary Chapel plus the Teatro Principal and city's museums.
- Visit Puebla's Sapo arts district to visit some of the city's best galleries & perhaps pick yourself up a masterpiece or two.
- The Itza-Popo national park (home to the Popocatepetl Volcano) is great for hiking and enjoying the great outdoors of this scenic region.
- Go to local restaurant to try the infamous mole poblano, or chiles en nogada (chillies stuffed with meat, fruits & nuts topped with a walnut cream sauce and pomegranates). We can give recommendations.
- Trips to Cholula and the Pyramid.
- Excursions to local Talavera tiles factory: Watch as artisans turn black clay into elaborately painted pottery.
- Cacaxtla archaeological site has some fantastic mural paintings.
Whatever you want your luxury tour or safari itinerary to include, we’ll create something fully bespoke for you… and only you.
Accommodation in Puebla
Here are some of our travel designers' favourite options