A small archipelago lying off the north-eastern tip of the Yucatan and just a 30-minute ferry ride from the mainland, Holbox Island is a wonderfully unspoilt and peaceful Caribbean island getaway.
Holding onto its naturally rustic character of sand roads and where most people get about by golf carts or mopeds, Holbox is also part of the Yum Balam Biopshere Reserve so development is minimal and its island’s hotels follow a sustainable and eco-conscientious philosophy.
Only 12 kilometres long by 1.5 kilometres wide, it’s the island’s large shallow lagoon which attracts a stunning array of birdlife and has afforded Holbox a good reputation for excellent bird-watching, not to mention whale shark spotting (in season), kiteboarding and fishing.
What to do
- Kayaking the island's waters
- Relaxing to reggae sounds
- Get into the swing of beach bar life
- Rent a golf cart to explore the island
- Spot over 150 bird species
- May-September is the Whale Shark season, and a large reason for many who come to the island
- Fishing, sailing, kitesurfing...
Itineraries including Holbox Island
Whatever you want your luxury tour or safari itinerary to include, we’ll create something fully bespoke for you… and only you.
Accommodation in Holbox Island
Here are some of our travel designers' favourite options