It makes sense that Costa Rica’s fertile Central Valley, ringed by volcanoes and stretching in a verdant arc from San Ramon lying to the west of San Jose right round to Paraiso in the east, possesses perfect conditions for growing and producing some of the world’s best coffee.
Whilst plantations line much of the valley’s floors, just to the north of San Jose the lush and gentle inclines of the Poas Volcano characterises a particularly prolific area known as the Coffee Valley and home to the sizeable, family-owned Doka Estate plantation.
The very central location of this valley means that you are within easy reach of the capital and many varied and exciting activities from hiking to volcano crater rims and rafting the river rapids to wildlife and plantation excursions.
What to do
- Hike the Poas, Barva and Irazu Volcanoes
- Visit La Paz Gardens and its Waterfalls
- Horse Riding
- White water rafting
- Canopy Tours
- Coffee Plantation Excursions
- Trips to Carara National Park
- Wildlife tours to see butterflies, birdlife, monkeys and much more