Luxury travel to Bodrum
As you head south along Turkey’s beautiful western coastline, you’ll discover Bodrum and numerous other gems of Turkey’s “Turquoise Coast”. The former is a rewarding mixture of exclusive resorts, laid-back coastal villages and inviting beaches, primarily found along its peninsula, as well as an enigmatic and landmark-rich main town filled with charming eateries and atmospheric alleyways.
As you wind around the southwestern corner of the mainland, the curves of white sand become ever more frequent, leading to famed resorts such as Oludeniz and Fethiye, all in easy reach of Bodrum for those hoping to tick off more pristine beaches of Turkey. On the peninsula itself, and from Bodrum’s town, you can still discover a number of beautiful beaches and idyllic stretches of coastline, many rarely frequented by tourists. One of the most rewarding experiences of Bodrum is taking to the waters surrounding it, heading on board a traditional three-masted wooden sailing vessel known as a gulet. This is the best and most serene way to soak up the peninsula’s scenic beauty, along with diving into the clear waters of the Aegean Sea.
Within the town, the most famed landmark is surely Bodrum’s immense castle. Presenting a fantastic example of medieval western military architecture, construction of the castle began in 1402, and the complex is defined by its remarkable collection of courtyards, turrets, galleries and sunken gardens.
When to go
The best times to visit Bodrum and its peninsula are from may to October, when the weather conditions are favourable and most of the tourism infrastructure is open. Outside of these months, quite a lot of the eateries, shops and hotels close for low season.
What to do
- Admire marvels of the Ancient Greek world at the ruined city of Ephesus
- Wander the charming and authentic streets of Alacati
- Explore the hustle, bustle and history of Izmir, Turkey's third most populous city
- Discover the historical fortification of Bodrum Castle
- Hop from beach to beach along the coastline for a dose of the sun, sand and sea
- Take a boat trip out onto the clear blue waters of the Aegean Sea
- Go yacht-watching around the sands and waters of Fethiye
Itineraries including Bodrum
Accommodation in Bodrum
Here are some of our travel designers' favourite options