Luxury Rail Journeys in Europe
Discover Europe in style with a luxurious rail journey
See the delights of the continent while travelling in unparalleled luxury: this is what rail journeys in Europe can offer. From the iconic Venice Simplon-Orient-Express to the Grand Hibernian that trails across Ireland – these journeys will take you back to the Golden Age of travel.
Luxuriously appointed carriages, inviting bedrooms with crisp sheets and sophisticated dining cars, this collection of elegant sleeper trains will help you discover the romance of rail.
Travel in style, and awake rested at incredible destinations in Europe. See what experiences are on offer.
- Travel from London to Venice aboard the legendary Venice Simplon-Orient-Express.
- See the Scottish Highlands in unprecedented comfort on the Belmond Royal Scotsman.
- Climb aboard the 1920s British Pullman to explore the historic gems of England.
- Crisscross the lush Irish countryside on the Belmond Grand Hibernian.
- Enjoy a five-course Champagne dinner as the Northern Belle glides through the landscapes of Great Britain.
Explore our itineraries below to inspire your own rail adventure across Europe.
Enjoy the various landscapes of Europe comfortably from your elegant cabin, paired with exceptional meals. It is the encounters you have in the bar wagon, the exceptional service and the luxury heritage, that make it incomparable to any hotel stay. Whether you are travelling on the iconic Venice Orient Express or riding the Belmond Royal Scotsman across the stunning Scottish countryside, you just cannot deny the old-world glamour and style of travelling by rail.
Itineraries for a luxury rail journey in Europe
Whatever you want your luxury tour or safari itinerary to include, we’ll create something fully bespoke for you… and only you.
Luxury trains in Europe
- The Venice Simplon-Orient-Express$$$$$The Venice Simplon-Orient Express is a work of art, and a true art deco icon. Step onboard this legendary train and travel back to the golden age of the 20s and 30s, for a journey that combines adventure and style. Crisscrossing Europe, you’ll roll through sublime scenery to some of the continent’s most alluring cities, with the most famous overnight journey running from London to Venice across France and the Alps. The train cars are the original 1920s models, and the charming vintage cabins have been restored to their former glory. The double cabins feature an upper and lower berth while the single cabins have one lower berth. During the day, the berths are transformed to offer comfortable banquette seating from which you can relax and watch the world go by. There are three restaurant cars so you can dine in style while enjoying the beauty of the countryside. Etoile du Nord features wonderful floral marquetry; the Côte d’Azur’s delicate lalique glass panels add elegance and style; and L’Oriental is decorated in black lacquer. Ingredients are brought onboard at stops along the route to guarantee freshness. The champagne bar is the perfect place to relax and enjoy a perfectly chilled glass in beautiful art deco surroundings, or sip an expertly mixed cocktail in the bar car while listening to the delicate tinkle of the resident pianist.
- Belmond Royal Scotsman$$$$$Head into the heart of Scotland on this exclusive train that takes a maximum of 40 guests to discover the spectacular Highlands scenery that goes unseen by most. The Belmond Royal Scotsman is considered one of the most luxurious trains in the world and from the minute you step on board you will feel like royalty. Whether you’re in a twin, double or single cabin, each has been designed with decadence in every detail, from the hypoallergenic duvet, quilted cotton bed covers, refined wooden finishes and private en-suite bathrooms. Head to the Observation Car to sink into an inviting armchair or sofa and chat with your fellow travellers, or to really take in the stunning Highlands scenery step out onto the open-air veranda as you travel past glassy lochs, castles and majestic mountain ranges. Meals on the Belmond Royal Scotsman are as memorable as the landscapes you are travelling through. Served in mahogany-pannelled dining cars, you can relish hearty Highland breakfasts, seasonal lunches and in the evening enjoy gourmet dining with fresh local ingredients accompanied by fine wines. After dinner, unwind with a scotch malt whisky as a local Highlander shares tales of life in Scotland through the centuries, or simply retire to your cabin for a peaceful sleep as the train settles into a siding for the night.
- Belmond Northern Belle$$$$$Reiving the opulence of 1930s rail travel and the timelessness of the Great British day trip, this luxurious yet intimate train winds its way through the glorious countryside en-route to some a whole host of destinations. Like its sister, the British Pullman, the Belmond Northern Belle undertakes a range of one day journeys to historic cities such as York, Durham and Edinburgh, grand country houses and quintessentially English gardens. Departing from regional stations, these trips usually begin with a three course Bellini lunch followed by touring and a four-course champagne dinner on the return trip. The Northern Belle also does gourmet round trips with a sumptuous five-course lunch and convivial Tea Parties. The superb on board cuisine created using locally sourced ingredients and paired with fine wines.
- Belmond British Pullman$$$$$Step on board and back in time to a golden age of luxury rail travel with the Belmond British Pullman. This elegant train is made of immaculately restored Art Deco carriages, one dating back to 1925, which been used extensively by the British Royal Family and carried luminaries including President de Gaulle and Nikita Khrushchev. Today they are used for delightful day trips and weekend breaks around England, such as to the splendid cities Bath and Canterbury, historic landmarks like Chatsworth House and Blenheim Palace, or even to the Grand National. Expect a sumptuous brunch en route with a champagne reception and gastronomic four-course dinner on the way back to London. There are also elegant gourmet excursions, Agatha Christie inspired murder mystery trips and unforgettable journeys pulled by mighty steam locomotive.
- Belmond Grand Hibernian$$$$$Whoever coined the phrase ‘travel in style’ must have just stepped off The Belmond Grand Hibernian. The perfect blend of traditional Georgian design with modern luxury, there really is no better way to explore this beautiful country. Within the ten carriages, each named after a county of Ireland, 20 en-suite cabins provide the perfect haven to guests as the world glides by. Each cabin subtly reflects the county they are named after in their various accents of colour. Yet with tranquil shades of stone grey weaved in to each, along with the plush natural fabrics for heightened comfort in the spacious cabins, you can be sure to arrive to your next adventure fully rejuvenated, ready to take on your next adventure. Each cabin features a writing desk and a long wardrobe and the large windows extend the boundaries of each cabin outwards towards the surrounding landscapes. Dining on the Grand Hibernian rivals even Dublin’s most prestigious venues. Onboard you can delight in delight in the daily celebration of fresh Irish cuisine in the Sligo, Waterford and Wexford dining cars. From Skeaghanore duck leg confit at dinner to Donegal turf-smoked salmon at breakfast, you’ll be sure discover the truest taste of Ireland. This train also almost doubles as an art gallery on rails, featuring contemporary Irish oil paintings, watercolour paintings as well as lithographic print. When relaxing in by the bar in the observation car, one could almost forget they were not in a traditional Irish saloon if it weren’t for the concession of phenomenal views. Yet despite the beauty of the landscapes it takes you to, once you hop aboard the Belmond Grand Hibernian, you’ll be in two minds whether to leave.
- Golden Eagle$$$$$There are few better ways to discover the magnificent Trans-Siberian landscape than via the Golden Eagle. Aboard this luxurious train you’ll find well-appointed cabins, fine dining and elegant public spaces. The train has been designed with the ultimate comfort and relaxation in mind. Watch the scenery slip by from your en-suite cabin, or from the bar lounge car or restaurant cars. The only private train of its kind operating in this region, there are three categories of cabin to choose from. The most spacious are the Imperial Suites which boast a double bed, lounge area, dressing table, a small library and two large picture windows. Gold Class cabins are slightly smaller, but still comfortable, with a large picture window and a private bathroom. The compact Silver class cabins feature a small double lower bed and a single upper bed and a private en-suite wet room. Unwind with your fellow passengers in the bar lounge car as you tuck into afternoon tea or enjoy a game of cards before the evening meal. There will be a variety of activities on offer throughout your trip in both the bar lounge car and the restaurant cars. These include things like lectures on local history and culture by guest lecturers, and Russian language lessons. Your journey on the Golden Eagle will take you along the Trans-Siberian Railway which connects Russia’s east and west from Moscow across the Urals to Vladivostok.
Rachel and Gloria at Jacada Travel planned an epic trip to SE Asia for myself and 3 others. They listened carefully to our desires, kept us informed, and developed a perfect itinerary! We were able to make adjustments and suggestions along the way. Recommendations were shared and I feel as though we were actively involved in the planning of our…
Jacada does a great job planning and organizing our family trips -- so far we've been on two, one to Malaysia and one to India. Rachel O'Leary is a great help, as is the whole Jacada team. Very well done!
All was great
This is our 3rd trip with Jacada Travel and certainly will not be our last. From start to finish Jacada provided us with the best service, recommendations and information for our 6 week South East Asia trip. Keith, our excellent travel adviser, took all the time we needed to help us plan our awesome adventure. Attention to detail is what…
Great customer care and personalized experiences!