Greece: FAQs

Our frequently asked questions about travel to Greece. If you have any other questions, please contact your travel designer or concierge.

Do I need to get a visa?

All visitors need to have a valid passport to travel to Greece. There are no visa requirements for residents of the UK, USA or EU member countries. Those holding Chinese or Indian passports require a visa. If you are unsure, please contact your travel designer or concierge.

Will I need travel insurance?

It is vital that you take out valid comprehensive travel insurance that covers medical repatriation, cancellation and curtailment for you trip to Greece. This gives you peace of mind that you will not lose money should you be forced to cancel your trip due to illness before you travel or during your vacation.

Please ensure that your insurance covers you for medical evacuation and repatriation both internationally and locally, and we advise that your policy covers loss and theft of your possessions. It is your responsibility to ensure that your travel insurance covers you for all aspects of your vacation. You must ensure that you will be covered for activities such as walking, rafting, canoeing and horse riding.

Remember to carry your insurance details with you at all times.

What currency should I bring?

The national currency is the Euro and you’ll find currency exchange facilities in most cities and on most of the islands. The most widely accepted credit cards are Visa, MasterCard and American Express. Check with your credit card provider beforehand about their foreign transaction fee and let them know you’ll be using your card in Greece.


A service charge is usually added to restaurant bills and it is normal to tip the waiters 10% if you are happy with their service, however, tips must be paid in cash. Taxi drivers should also be tipped 10%.

Hotel staff, such as porters, should be tipped about 50 cents per bag if they take your luggage to or from your room for you. It is recommended that you tip tour guides and drivers around €30 for a half day or €50 for a full day.

What electrical plugs are used?

In Greece electricity is supplied at 220 volts. Most hotels should offer voltage converters for travelers who come from outside of Europe, but it’s safest to try to take your own one with you. The sockets are generally Type C or Type F.

What to pack

During the summer months you will need light and airy casual clothing. It is best to opt for cotton clothing and other lightweight, “breathable” fabrics. Comfortable walking shoes are a must, as the pavements are often uneven. In summer, don’t forget your bathing suit, sunhat and a high SPF sunblock. Ensure you bring an adequate supply of any prescription medication you may require while travelling. Greece is an exceptionally beautiful country, so don’t forget an extra camera battery and memory card if using a digital camera.