Having proper travel insurance is essential for any trip. It gives you the freedom to focus on enjoying your trip, knowing that you’re covered in case of the unforeseen.
Whatever provider you use for your travel insurance, here’s why it matters, and the most important things to look out for in your policy.
Five Key Reasons to Get Travel Insurance
Picture the scene. Shortly before your dream vacation, which you’re all set and excited for – a loved one falls ill. You’re not able to travel, and the trip has been fully paid for already. It’s a stressful time, but good travel insurance should cover the cost of rearranging or cancelling the trip.
2) Natural disasters
From hurricanes to snowstorms to floods to volcanic ash clouds, Mother Nature can unexpectedly hamper any travel plans. Travel insurance will provide peace of mind that your vacation is safe.
Love them or hate them, they help us get from A to B, and back again. Sometimes flights can get cancelled, rescheduled or delayed – with or without notice. Occasionally, planes, routes or airlines can stop operating. Staff can go on strike. Good travel insurance will help cover the impact of these incidents for you, meaning that you’re not out of pocket.
4) Medical costs
Whether you’re hiking in the Andes mountains or enjoying a Safari in Africa, while abroad medical costs can get very high very quickly. While travelling you’ll enjoy peace of mind that should you fall ill, that the medical costs will be covered, wherever you are.
5) Lost or stolen items
Baggage, equipment, passports and technical gear. All valuable items, and can be covered by trip insurance. Whether lost or stolen, a good policy will cover these items for you
What Your Policy Should Cover
Your insurance must cover you for both local and international medical repatriation, cancellation and curtailment cover as well as the more standard cover (i.e. money, delayed flights, lost passports etc). Please provide us with either a copy of your insurance or the following details:
- Name of the Insurer
- Your Policy Number
- Insurer’s 24 Hour Emergency Contact Number
Your policy should cover you for the duration of your trip and should include the following:
- Medical and health cover for an injury or sudden illness abroad
- 24 hour emergency service and assistance
- Lost and stolen possessions cover
- Cancellation and curtailment (cutting short your trip) cover
- Extra cover for activities that are commonly excluded from standard policies, such as Scuba Diving
A good insurance policy will cover you for cancelling or cutting your trip short (cancellation and curtailment cover). Check carefully to see if you are covered for the following:
- Pregnancy (unknown when you buy the policy)
- Jury service or witness summons
- Home emergency (fire, storm or flood, burglary)
- Bad weather – affects the departure of flights and ships
It’s really important that in the event that you actually need to use your insurance, that your policy can help you! Your insurance company should therefore do the following:
- Refund the full cost of your holiday
- Pay out if you need to cancel or cut short a trip because you fall ill
- Cover pre-paid expenses such as excursions
- Covers extra costs incurred to get you back home
If you have any further questions please ask your travel designer and they will be happy to help.