Luxury Safaris in Durban
Durban is another of South Africa’s great seaside cities, with the added feature of enjoying a warm sub-tropical climate all year round.
A modern, cosmopolitan city and capital of the KwaZulu Natal region, Durban enjoys some of the country’s most impressive cultural diversity and history thanks mostly to the ethnic influences of the Zulus and its migrant Indian population. From taking a rickshaw ride down the “golden mile” waterfront or marveling at the multi-coloured towers of spices at Victoria Market, to visiting some of South Africa’s best breweries, the impressive uShaka Marine World, craft markets, fine restaurants, pleasant beaches, as well as great surfing and diving spots; Durban has a lot to offer.
It is also a convenient gateway to the main attractions in the province of Kwa-Zulu Natal – the Drakensberg Mountains, the incredible game reserves, the Battlefields area and not forgetting the stunning unspoilt coastline along the Maputaland (elephant) coast, leading up to the St Lucia Wetlands area.
What to do
- The Ushaka Marine World is well worth a visit
- Durban is home to some of the country's best museums
- Some fantastic restaurants specializing in the town's unique cross-culture cuisines to more international gastronomy
- Take a rickshaw ride along the waterfront
- Great surfing beaches and swimming beaches too (kids will especially love the Umhlanga area)
- World class diving spots (such as the Aliwal shoal or Sodwana Bay), where you can even free-dive with black tip reef, tiger and ragged-tooth sharks.
- Great nightlife
Accommodation in Durban
Here are some of our travel designers' favourite options