Luxury tented villas nestled in the forest

$$$$$
Facilities & services
  • 15 tented villas
  • Restaurant
Activities
  • 4x4 tours around the island
  • Whale and dolphin watching
  • Hiking
  • Birdwatching
  • Boat trips

Located on the wild northwest tip of the island of Príncipe, Sundy Praia allows guests to fully immerse themselves in their tropical surroundings. This is a place where the chatter of parrots, the swaying of trees and the lapping of the ocean provide the soundtrack, and your senses are ignited by the tastes and smells of the forest. Everything here is based around keeping it local, from the staff to the products in the rooms, and the ingredients used at the restaurant.

Sundy’s 15 wooden tented villas are nestled amongst almond and banana trees, looking out towards the ocean. There’s a selection of one-, two- and three-bedroom villas, all with floor-to-ceiling sliding windows and private decking. Freestanding granite bathtubs look out over the canopy, and the three-bedroom villas also feature their own pools.

The restaurant menu is inspired by the island’s incredible natural larder, with fruit, veg and herbs coming from Sundy’s organic farm, and tuna and wahoo straight out of the ocean.

There is so much to do on the island of Príncipe, from 4×4 tours and boat trips to whale spotting, birdwatching and hiking.

Positive Impact

Keeping it local

After South African entrepreneur and millionaire Mark Shuttleworth became the first African to rocket into space, he returned to Earth with a new perspective on the planet’s fragility. He visited the remote, wildlife-rich island of Príncipe and fell under its otherworldly spell—and formed the company HBD Príncipe, an affiliated NGO, and a network of four luxurious eco-lodges with the stated mission of transforming Príncipe into a model of sustainable development. Engaging with the local community is integral to that goal. Sundy Praia gives the island its first five-star accommodations, run by a highly trained and eager local staff made up of the descendants of slaves and plantation workers.

At Sunday Praia, nearly 60 percent of the staff come from the island itself, and the remaining 40 percent from São Tomé, while the oils and creams in your room are all produced by locals at the organic farm they have established at Paciencia. Similarly, most of the food at Sundy Praia has been sourced from products grown and harvested on the island, with many of chef Angelo’s herbs picked from an experimental herb garden they have cultivated at Paciencia.

The Long Run

The Long Run is a membership organisation of nature-based tourism businesses committed to driving sustainability. Here at Jacada, we’ve signed The Long Run Charter – a document that advocates for a 4Cs approach to sustainability. By focusing on our impacts across the different areas of Conservation, Community, Culture and Commerce, we hope to make a positive impact across the globe with our trips. The Long Run’s Global Ecosphere Retreats are hotels and lodgings which are centres of excellence in sustainability, and Fellow Members are properties committed to achieving the highest standards in sustainability by positively impacting the conservation of nature and improving the wellbeing of local communities. At Jacada, we’re working with a number of these properties to help increase the positive impact we’re striving to create through travel. Find out more about The Long Run here.

aerial-view-verona-italy
Where will you venture?

Whatever you want your luxury tour or safari itinerary to include, we’ll create something fully bespoke for you… and only you.