Offbeat Mara Camp
Offbeat Mara is a small, traditional safari camp, situated within the Mara North Conservancy.
- 6 Traditional Tents
- 4 doubles/twins and 2 family tents
- Power by solar lamps and hurricane lamps in the tents. Lamps & candles in the mess tent. Approximately 4 hours per day of generator power in the office (for charging cameras and phones)
- Day and evening 4x4 gamedrives (until 10pm)
- Sundowners and bush meals
- Rhino Sanctuary Excursions
- Walking (1-3 hours with an armed guide)
- Cultural visits (village, market, guiding school)
- 'Toto Trackers Club' - children's club in the afternoons learning bush craft and survival techniques
Not within the Maasai Mara Reserve itself, but just north in the North Mara Conservancy, Offbeat Mara offers you the chance to have all the game experience of the popular reserve but with less of the traffic. With 74,000 acres of excellent game sustaining land on your doorstep, you have the relatively exclusive pick of the bunch here.
Not far from camp are spots where wildebeest attempt their often fatal river crossings and you will have front row seats. The wildlife around the lodge include four of the big five, and lions can be heard off in the distance as you enjoy your evening meal in the very spacious main dining area while you recount the day’s viewing.
With only six safari tents to cater for, the staff here have a lot of time and attention to give you, adding detail to your safari that might otherwise go amiss. Furnished in a traditional safari fashion and with a comfort that seems so unlikely in a bush environment, you can fall peacefully into slumber while you are taken care of in all aspects of your safari. When you aren’t making the most of the spectacular game drives, you can visit a rhino sanctuary to tick off the final of the big five or have a cultural experience by visiting a genuine Maasai village.