Bolivia: FAQs

Plan with peace of mind

Our frequently asked questions about travel to Bolivia. If you have any other questions, please contact your travel designer or concierge.

Do I need any vaccinations before I go away to Bolivia?

All travellers are required to have a yellow fever vaccination certificate to enter Bolivia.

What is generally recommended for all is that you ensure you are up to date with hepatitis A, typhoid and routine immunisations – specifically tetanus- diphtheria, measles-mumps-rubella, polio, and varicella. Yellow fever vaccinations are recommended only for areas lower than 2,300m and east of the Andes and are not necessary for travel to La Paz, Uyuni or anywhere else above 2,300m.

Please seek professional medical advice and recheck close to the date of travel as the situation may change.

Do I need to take malaria tablets?

Check with your medical advisor about the areas you are going to before travelling to see whether you should bring malaria tablets with you. Generally these are not required for visits to Bolivia.

Travelling at altitude

Altitude sickness can affect everyone and to different degrees, it tends to be quite random. From our experience travelling through these regions, we recommend you take it easy the first day and not to physically exert yourself.

Being dehydrated can have a big impact on feeling altitude and it’s very easy to become dehydrated after travel and taking flights. We strongly recommend you stay well hydrated and have meals which are easy to digest and avoid alcohol that first day whilst acclimatising. Some of our guests take medication and so you may wish to speak with your doctor about this.

Do I need to get a visa?

To enter Bolivia visas are not required by Australian, Canadian and most EU citizens. You will be granted an initial 30-day stay, which you can extend for a further 60 days. Please note that this information can change at short- notice and we recommend checking again closer to the date of travel.

US citizens require a visa and can obtain this in advance or on entry, where it must be paid for in cash; ensure your US Dollar bills are in good condition. For US travellers obtaining a visa on arrival, a tourist visa costs US$160. US Citizens can purchase a visa on arrival providing you have a passport with at least 6 months validity, two passport photos, a photocopy of your itinerary and air ticket, proof of bank statement and US$160.

Chinese citizens need a visa that can be obtained at arrival, at airports or border points, for US$50, which can be paid in cash. Bills must be in good condition otherwise they will be rejected. A passport photo also needs to be shown with a passport that is valid for at least six months, a bank statement and a completed form.

What should I bring in terms of currency?

We recommend bringing a small amount of the local currency (Bolivia Boliviano) with you if you can, but US Dollar bills are the best currency, though they must be new and clean. 100-dollar bills can be tough to change. They will not be changed if they have any rips or writing, no matter how small. ATM’s are available, particularly in La Paz, but not always widely or reliably.