Zambia: FAQs

Our frequently asked questions about travel to Zambia. If you have any other questions, please contact your travel designer or concierge.

Do I need any vaccinations before I go away to Zambia?

Please seek professional medical advice and recheck close to the date of travel as the situation may change.

What is recommended for all is that you ensure you are up to date with hepatitis A, typhoid and routine immunisations – specifically tetanus-diphtheria, measles-mumps-rubella, polio, and varicella.

Do I need to take malaria tablets?

Malaria is prevalent throughout Zambia and therefore we do recommend you bring malaria tablets with you. Check with your medical advisor about the areas you are going to confirm the risk in the area you will be travelling. We recommend you bring some mosquito spray.

Do I need to get a visa?

To enter Zambia visas are currently required by citizens of EU, US, Canada and the UAE. This can always change, and you should check with your local embassy before travel. Some nationalities have to obtain visas prior to arrival in Zambia, and some can obtain them on arrival at the port of entry; please ask us, or check with your local embassy.

If you purchase your visa on arrival, please make sure you have the correct cash available to pay direct, preferably in US Dollars. If your itinerary crosses into other countries, please bear in mind that you may need also need visas for these. If you are visiting both the Zimbabwean and Zambian side of Victoria Falls you should purchase a KAZA UNIVISA. The KAZA visa was reinstated on 22 December 2016 and is valid for travel between Zambia and Zimbabwe and day trips into Botswana. It’s available at the international airports in Lusaka and Livingstone and at the land borders at Livingstone (Zimbabwe border) and Kazungula (Botswana border). It costs US $50 and it is valid for 30 days.

Please also ensure that you have sufficient blank visa pages (not endorsement pages) in your passport, with at least 2 consecutive/side by side blank pages. Our recommendation is 3 pages (or even 4 if you are travelling through more than one country on your journey). If there is insufficient space in your passport then entry into a country could be denied. It is also important that your passport if valid for at least six months after your intended departure.

Should I bring travellers cheques?

Travellers’ cheques are accepted in city hotels. However we don’t usually suggest bringing them as they can be troublesome and time consuming to change.  Cash machines are always nearby in big cities and airports. Credit cards are accepted with almost as much frequency as they are at home; all major credit cards are accepted in most places.

Which currency should I bring?

The currency in Zambia is the Kwacha (KR). Kwacha must be used for all domestic transactions, including departure taxes. Please note that is not possible to obtain Kwacha outside Zambia. USD, Sterling, Euros and most major currencies can be exchanged at the airports, and our colleagues on the ground can assist you with this. Cash can be withdrawn from ATMs at the airport, while most larger retail outlets and lodges/hotels accept major credit cards.

Your total daily expenditure can be reckoned on 30% cash and 70% card payments. MasterCard and Visa are generally accepted, however, Diners Club and American Express are often not. Some camps in very remote parts of Zambia do not accept credit cards at all so it is advisable to travel with small denominations of cash.

Please bring ‘new notes’ (i.e. ‘Big Head’ dollars) as old ones are not accepted. Please alert your card provider that you are travelling so that they don’t lock your card for financial protection.

Travel insurance

It is vital that you take out valid comprehensive travel insurance that covers medical repatriation, cancellation and curtailment for you trip to Africa. This gives you peace of mind that you will not lose money should you be forced to cancel your trip due to illness before you travel or during your vacation.

Please ensure that your insurance covers you for medical evacuation and repatriation both internationally and locally, and we could advise that your policy covers loss and theft of your possessions.

It is your responsibility to ensure that your travel insurance covers you for all aspects of your vacation. You must ensure that you will be covered for activities such as walking, rafting, canoeing and horse riding.

Remember to carry your insurance details with you at all times.


Most camps and lodges have laundry facilities, provided you have sufficient time to allow for drying and ironing. Some properties charge a nominal fee for this (some include it). As laundry in lodges is generally done by hand, we suggest that you wash your own underwear.

Electrical plugs in Africa

There is a huge variation in the type of plug socket in use in Africa and it is best to be armed with a universal adaptor. Most sockets tend to be in the square three pin style but you will also find the larger three-pin socket as in South Africa.