United Kingdom: FAQs

Our frequently asked questions about travel to UK. If you have any other questions, please contact your travel designer or concierge.

Do I need any vaccinations before I go?

Although no inoculations are required to enter the UK, we recommend you make sure you are up to date with all your regular vaccinations.

Do I need to get a visa?

Citizens of many countries and territories are visa-exempt for stays in the UK of up to 6 months, including those from the US, Canada, Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia. Citizens of China and India will need to arrange a visa in advance through the UK Visas and Immigration at a visa application centre.

Please ensure your passport has a minimum validity of three months from the return date and at least one free double-page spread.

What currency should I bring?

ATMs are plentiful and the best way to obtain pound sterling, commonly known simply as the pound. All major cards are accepted across the country. Check with your bank beforehand about their foreign transaction fee.

Foreign currency can easily be exchanged at banks, post offices, some hotels and Bureau de Change kiosks, which are found at international airports and most city centres.

What are the tipping suggestions?

It is customary to leave 10-15% of the bill when eating out. Restaurants increasingly automatically add on a service charge (usually 12.5%), so it’s worth checking your bill if you don’t want to tip twice. People generally do not tip in pubs.

Most hotel bills include a service charge, usually 10-12%. Tips for other hotel staff such as concierges and door staff are discretionary and are most commonplace for porters. For room cleaning staff, you can leave an amount of your choosing on departure.

Tipping for private guides is entirely discretionary. We suggest around £20 for a half day tour and slightly more for a full day.

For taxi drivers, around 10-15% is polite, with most people rounding up to the nearest pound.

Travel insurance

It is vital that you take out valid comprehensive travel insurance that covers medical repatriation, cancellation and curtailment for you trip to Europe. This gives you peace of mind that you will not lose money should you be forced to cancel your trip due to illness before you travel or during your vacation.

Please ensure that your insurance covers you for medical evacuation and repatriation both internationally and locally, and we advise that your policy covers loss and theft of your possessions. It is your responsibility to ensure that your travel insurance covers you for all aspects of your vacation. You must ensure that you will be covered for activities such as walking, rafting, canoeing and horse riding.

Remember to carry your insurance details with you at all times.