Spain FAQs

Written by
Kate Herz, Hanna Fischer, Murray Mitchell & Melania Siriu

Published on: October 31st, 2016

Last modified: August 3rd, 2022

We've compiled our list of most frequently asked questions to help you get prepared before your big adventure to Spain. Please read through the questions, using the navigation bar on the left hand side of your page to move easily between the different sections.

Please note that requirements and advice can change so we do recommend you check in with your own travel insurer, doctor and relevant local embassies before embarking on your adventure.

Are there any entry requirements for Spain?

For US, Canadian and UK passport holders a visa is not required for stays of up to 90 days as Spain is part of the Schengen border free zone. For any other nationalities who do require a visa before arrival please make sure you have enough time to complete the process before arrival.

Please note that requirements can change and we recommend that our guests contact the local embassy in the country where you live for the most recent and up to date information.


US and Canadian passport holders will need more than 3 months left on your passport from your intended departure date. UK passport holders cannot travel if their passport is more than 10 years old, regardless of the expiry date. 

We will confirm certain elements of your trip such as domestic flights, permits or train tickets using your current passport details. If a member of your party changes their name in their passport after booking (for example, through marriage or adoption) this could mean having to reissue important parts of the trip at an extra cost and subject to availability. 

Do I need travel insurance?

Yes, once your trip is confirmed it is essential that you take out comprehensive travel insurance to cover you in case anything unexpected happens. 

We always recommend that our guests get the maximum level of coverage that you feel comfortable investing in. Read more about travel insurance for US travellers here and for travellers from other countries here.

Do I need to visit a travel doctor before my trip?

Yes, it is always recommended to talk to your Travel Doctor before taking a trip. You should discuss your itinerary and international travel arrangements to hear any recommendations or advice they may have.

No vaccinations are required for travel to any of mainland Spain, the Balaerics or the Canaries.

What do I need to know about my regional flights?

Flights within Europe are usually with standard commercial airlines and airports are generally large and easy to transit. Two hours is the recommended time needed before check in for European flights. Most airlines will allow seat selection up to 48 hours prior to departure although seats are subject to change on most airlines. If you do have flights within your trip we will be sure to share the relevant ticket information with you before travel.

What will I receive from Jacada before I depart?

Travel pack

Before you head off on your adventure you will be sent a travel pack. The travel pack is full of great information and is also a beautiful keepsake. It is not necessary to travel with vouchers or confirmations on your trip but we do recommend having a printed copy of your travel itinerary to hand when you arrive into Spain.

Bon Voyage email

Around 2 weeks before you depart we will email you an electronic version of your travel pack including your domestic flight tickets. Once you’ve received this email your Travel Designer will reach out to arrange a time for you to talk on the phone to go over any last minute questions and talk you through the information we’ve sent over.


Do I need to bring the local currency?

The currency in Spain is the Euro and no other currency will be accepted. ATMs are generally easy to find (they will often charge a small fee for withdrawals) and credit cards are accepted widely in the main cities, towns and larger shops and restaurants. 

Towns and airports will often have a bureau de change and you can exchange US Dollars and other currencies here, you will need to show ID (typically a passport) when you exchange currency in Slovenia.

If you’re travelling to very remote areas then ATMs become less frequent so we recommend making sure you have the cash you need before leaving larger cities or towns.


Can you tell me about tipping and etiquette in Spain?

In Spain tipping is not necessarily expected but is a way to show gratitude for good service. You can use our guide below to help you plan.

  • Tipping 10% in restaurants is standard for tourists and for locals when dining in larger restaurants in bigger towns and cities. When dining in a tapas bar or small cafe (just having a coffee for example) you could leave the change, rounded up to the closest Euro. For top end restaurants, such as Michelin Star or similar, the tip can be increased to around 15%-20%. When tipping, use cash where possible and always in Euros.
  • For a full day tour you should expect to tip your guide around €50. Again, you should use cash for this tip.
  • For help with luggage, €1 to €2
  • Concierge services or room services at €1 to €2. 
  • Tips to cab drivers are normally expected. You can round up the change to the nearest round number or €1 to €2 on top for a short ride.

What’s the weather like and how should I pack?

Spain follows a classic mediterranean climate with warm and dry summers and colder winters that do see some rain. Spain is a large country and the weather will depend greatly on the season you’re travelling in and where you’re going to be going. What to pack will also depend on your itinerary and the sorts of activities you will be taking part in. For a personally tailored packing list please speak with your travel designer or concierge who will be able to help you.


Should I make restaurant reservations?

We highly recommend that you make restaurant reservations in advance of your trip. Once your trip is confirmed you will be introduced to your concierge who will be able to assist you in not only making the reservations but also  making  recommendations based on your preferences.

What’s the transport like?

Taxis are easy to find in the cities and commonly used. Hotels and restaurants will be happy to help you flag down a taxi. We don’t recommend taking buses in cities and we will endeavour to make sure the transfers you need within your trip are arranged by us ahead of time.


How can I keep connected on my trip?

Spain uses plugs C and F. Wifi is generally easy to find in hotels, cafes and major restaurants. Cell phone coverage can be a little patchy in remote areas. It’s recommended to speak with your cell phone provider to ask about roaming charges. If certain types of connectivity are very important to you at certain times during your trip please let your travel designer or concierge know so that they can help you to plan.


Please contact your Jacada travel designer or concierge before your trip with any further questions.