Malaysia: FAQs

Our frequently asked questions about travel to Malaysia. If you have any other questions, please contact your travel designer or concierge.

Do I need to get a visa?

An entry visa into Malaysia is not required for most countries if you plan to spend less than thirty days in the country, although checking that your nationality falls into this category is advisable.  For further information about the necessary documentation and where visas can be obtained if needed, please consult your local Malaysian embassy. Visitors to Malaysia must be in possession of valid passport/travel documents with a minimum validity of six months beyond the period of intended stay.

Do I need to take malaria tablets or have any vaccinations?

There is no risk of yellow fever in Malaysia. The government of Malaysia requires proof of yellow fever vaccination only if you are arriving from a country with risk of yellow fever. Malaria is prevalent in Borneo and Jacada Travel advises you discuss anti-Malarial tablets with your doctor before you travel.

It is advisable to bring anti-diarrheic tablets and a strong insect repellent to prevent Malaria and for personal comfort when travelling to Malaysia. Leech socks should be taken as a precaution if visiting any rainforests, especially if travelling during or soon after the rainy season.

Which currency should I bring?

The currency in Malaysia is the Malaysian Ringgit. Dollars and traveller’s cheques can be easily changed in hotels, authorized banks and travel agencies. International credit cards are accepted in most hotels, shops and restaurants, however always notify your bank before you travel to avoid your card being blocked when you try to use it in Malaysia.

The Malaysian Ringgit does not tend to fluctuate much and travellers from European countries, America and Canada will be pleasantly surprised at the prices in local restaurants and shops (meals in hotels will be more expensive).

Travel insurance

It is vital that you take out valid comprehensive travel insurance that covers medical repatriation, cancellation and curtailment for you trip to South East Asia. This gives you peace of mind that you will not lose money should you be forced to cancel your trip due to illness before you travel or during your vacation.

Please ensure that your insurance covers you for medical evacuation and repatriation both internationally and locally, and we could advise that your policy covers loss and theft of your possessions.

It is your responsibility to ensure that your travel insurance covers you for all aspects of your vacation. You must ensure that you will be covered for activities such as walking, rafting, canoeing and horse riding.

Remember to carry your insurance details with you at all times.


The electricity current in Malaysia is 220-240 volts and the plug is the British BS 1363. Travellers from America who use 110-120V electronics will need a plug adapter + step-down transformer. Large, international hotels are usually able to lend these to guests, but if travelling to smaller more remote lodges it is best to bring one with you.