Laos: FAQs

Plan with peace of mind

Our frequently asked questions about travel to Laos. If you have any other questions, please contact your travel designer or concierge.

Do I need to get a visa?

A thirty day entry visa into Laos is required for most countries and can be issued at some entry points or through a Lao embassy or consulate. The cost varies from $30 to $37 depending on your nationality. Visa on arrival is available at most main entry points from Thailand, at both Vientiane and Luang Prabang airports and the main crossings into Vietnam, however it is not available at thePaksan crossing. Travellers must carry cash in US dollars with two passport photos.

For further information about the necessary documentation and where visas can be obtained if needed, please consult your local Laos embassy. Visitors to Laos must be in possession of valid passport/travel documents with a minimum validity of six months beyond the period of intended stay.

Do I need to take malaria tablets or have any vaccinations?

There is no risk of yellow fever in Laos. The government of Laos requires proof of yellow fever vaccination only if you are arriving from a country with risk of yellow fever. Malaria is high risk in Laos apart from in Vientiene. Jacada Travel advises you discuss anti-malarial tablets with your doctor before you travel.

It is advisable to bring anti-diarrheic tablets and a strong insect repellent to prevent Malaria and for personal comfort when travelling to Laos. Leech socks should be taken as a precaution if visiting any rainforests, especially if travelling during or soon after the rainy season.

Which currency should I bring?

The currency in Laos is the Laos Kip, although Thai Baht and US Dollars are also used. The Kip is used for everyday transactions and preferred in smaller towns, villages and markets. More expensive goods can be quoted in baht or dollars. Anything around US$100 is quoted in dollars.

ATMs are not widespread in Laos; the withdrawal amount is limited and the charges to withdraw money high. They are also dependant on power cuts or network breakdowns.

It is recommended to visit a bank (rather than an ATM) to withdraw money, but it is best to be prepared and carry spending money in Thai Baht and US Dollar. The Laos Kip cannot be converted into another currency outside of Laos.

Travel insurance

It is vital that you take out valid comprehensive travel insurance that covers medical repatriation, cancellation and curtailment for you trip to South East Asia. This gives you peace of mind that you will not lose money should you be forced to cancel your trip due to illness before you travel or during your vacation.

Please ensure that your insurance covers you for medical evacuation and repatriation both internationally and locally, and we could advise that your policy covers loss and theft of your possessions.

It is your responsibility to ensure that your travel insurance covers you for all aspects of your vacation. You must ensure that you will be covered for activities such as walking, rafting, canoeing and horse riding.

Remember to carry your insurance details with you at all times.


The electricity current in Laos is 230 volts using A,B,C,E,F plugs. Travellers from America who use 110-120V electronics will need a plug adapter + step-down transformer as the outlet type will vary. Large, international hotels are usually able to lend these to guests if available, but if travelling to smaller more remote lodges it is best to bring one with you.