Cambodia FAQs

Array Array Array
Written by
Rachel O'Leary, Ellie Khoury & Gilda Tang

We've compiled our list of most frequently asked questions to help you get prepared before your big adventure to Cambodia. Please read through the questions, using the navigation bar on the left hand side of your page to move easily between the different sections.

Please note that requirements and advice can change so we do recommend you check in with your own travel insurer, doctor and relevant local embassies before embarking on your adventure.

Are there any entry requirements for Cambodia?



Yes, you will need a visa for Cambodia. You can get a single entry tourist visa before arriving through https://www.evisa.gov.kh/ this costs USD 36 and takes 3 days to process and a passport style photograph to upload will be required.


Your passport should be valid for a minimum period of 6 months from the date of entry into Cambodia. Entry is normally refused if you have a damaged passport or pages missing.

We will confirm certain elements of your trip such as domestic flights, permits or train tickets using your current passport details. If a member of your party changes their name in their passport after booking (for example, through marriage or adoption) this could mean having to reissue important parts of the trip at an extra cost and subject to availability. 

Please note that requirements can change and we recommend that our guests contact the local embassy in the country where you live for the most recent and up to date information.


Do I need travel insurance?

Yes, once your trip is confirmed it is essential that you take out comprehensive travel insurance to cover you in case anything unexpected happens. 

We always recommend that our guests get the maximum level of coverage that you feel comfortable investing in. Read more about travel insurance for US travellers here and for travellers from other countries here.

Do I need to visit a travel doctor before my trip?

Yes, you should visit a travel doctor before your trip. Vaccines commonly recommended for travellers to Asia include: Tetanus, Diphtheria, Polio, Typhoid, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Rabies and Meningitis. There is a high risk of malaria throughout Cambodia. We would strongly advise you to speak to a doctor before your trip about anti-malaria medication.

What do I need to know about my regional flights?

Regional flights in Asia are similar to those in North America. They will use similar aircraft and your baggage allowance will typically be 23kgs/50lbs, although please do check the allowance on your itinerary as it depends on your route/travel class. 

What will I receive from Jacada before I depart?


Travel pack

Before you head off on your adventure you will be sent a travel pack. The travel pack is full of great information and is also a beautiful keepsake. It is not necessary to travel with vouchers or confirmations on your trip but we do recommend having a printed copy of your travel itinerary to hand when you arrive into Cambodia.

Bon Voyage email

Around 2 weeks before you depart we will email you an electronic version of your travel pack including your domestic flight tickets. Once you’ve received this email your Travel Designer will reach out to arrange a time for you to talk on the phone to go over any last minute questions and talk you through the information we’ve sent over.

Do I need to bring the local currency?

US dollars are widely accepted for most things over USD 1 and often shops quote prices in both USD and Reil. For some restaurants, tips and markets you may find it useful to have Cambodian Riel. If you do pay in USD you will find the small part of your change will be given in Riel. In the areas bordering Thailand, Thai baht is also used. 

There are ATMs in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Sihanoukville. The ATMs dispense US dollars. Not all ATMs and banks accept foreign debit and credit cards. Check with your bank before you travel. Credit cards are not widely accepted, but some hotels and businesses in larger cities will accept them.

Can you tell me about tipping and etiquette in Cambodia?

Tipping is not customary in Cambodian culture, so it is not necessarily expected in bars and restaurants. Restaurants and bars may include a service charge, if not then rounding up to the nearest USD 1 or 2 is a good rule of thumb. With the average Cambodian wage still very low, tips from tourists can make a real difference, so we do suggest to honour good service. 

We would suggest tipping guides USD 5 – 15 per person per day, while for drivers we would suggest around USD 5 per person per day.

What’s the weather like and how should I pack?

Being a tropical climate, light clothing made from natural fibres (especially cotton) is most comfortable. If you plan to visit the highlands in the cool season a light jacket may be necessary for the evenings. Bring sandals or footwear that is easy to remove (especially if visiting temples). It is advisable to wear sandals in the rainy season as they are quicker to dry than fully covered shoes.All hotels and guesthouses offer laundry service and there are places offering laundry service in all towns that will wash and return your clothes within 24 hours.

Cambodia is a Buddhist country and people dress modestly here. Avoid wearing very short skirts or shorts and revealing clothes, especially in small towns. If visiting a temple you should cover your legs and shoulders – you will not be allowed into the Royal Palace, for instance, with shorts or a tank top.


Should I make restaurant reservations?

We highly recommend that you make restaurant reservations in advance of your trip. Once your trip is confirmed you will be introduced to your concierge who will be able to assist you in not only making the reservations but also  making  recommendations based on your preferences.

What’s the transport like?

You may find it hard to hail a taxi, they can be arranged in advance. You’ll likely see locals using tuk-tuks and moto’s. If you wish to experience this, make sure to haggle a price beforehand. Car and driver hire is relatively inexpensive and we would say, the most comfortable option for longer journeys.  

How can I keep connected on my trip?

In Cambodia the power plugs and sockets are of type A, C and G. The standard voltage is 230 V and the standard frequency is 50 Hz.

In the cities your smartphone’s roaming will typically function and even in remote parts you’ll be able to get signal (although not 3G)

WiFi is becoming more widespread and typically free for consumers in a bar or restaurant. Most of the hotels will have free WiFi although the speeds may be slower than you are used to. 

Please contact your Jacada travel designer or concierge before your trip with any further questions.