An official assessment of the conservation work taking place at Machu Picchu will soon be undertaken by Unesco.
Inspectors from the body are due to visit the historic site in January 2012 and will assess how effectively the area is being preserved.
Cusco's regional director of culture David Ugarte explained that there are a number of issues facing the ancient citadel, including excessive growth of the town in the lower part of the attraction.
"We hope that Unesco is as objective as possible, as improvements are being done," he told the Andina news agency.
Tourists flock to Machu Picchu year on year, with luxury residences such as the Sanctuary Lodge giving them an experience they are never likely to forget.
It is the only accommodation situated inside Machu Picchu and is within walking distance of the Incan ruins, as well as providing two restaurants and the chance to receive a soothing massage.
- Nov. 1th, 2011Ultimate luxury awaits in Lake Titicaca
- Oct. 31th, 2011Tourists prove satisfied with luxury Peru holidays
- Oct. 28th, 2011Peru's Northern Beaches - perfect for honeymooners
- Oct. 27th, 2011Cusco reflects Peru's cultural and historical heart
- Oct. 26th, 2011Enjoy Machu Picchu without the mountain climb via train
- Oct. 24th, 2011Taste the best Lima has to offer
- Oct. 24th, 2011Explore the waters of Lake Titicaca
- Oct. 21th, 2011Immerse yourself in nature at the Manu Amazon Biosphere
- Oct. 21th, 2011PromPeru named Leading South American Tourist Board
- Oct. 20th, 2011Peruvian Amazon to receive direct international flights
- Oct. 19th, 2011Machu Picchu soon to be visited by Unesco
- Oct. 18th, 2011Cusco has plenty to offer
- Oct. 17th, 2011Jagger named ambassador for Peruvian Amazon
- Oct. 14th, 2011Experience the jungle at Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica
- Oct. 13th, 2011Peru's Northern Beaches are well worth a look
- Oct. 13th, 2011Experience ultimate comfort in the Sacred Valley
- Oct. 12th, 2011Find inner peace on magical Madre de Dios holidays in Peru
- Oct. 11th, 2011Mick Jagger spotted on luxury Peru holiday
- Oct. 10th, 2011Colca Canyon offers an intriguing experience
- Oct. 10th, 2011Peru's Nazca Lines under threat?