The Peruvian city of Arequipa is an ideal place to visit, not least because its wealth of attractions for tourists to explore. Known as the White City, Arequipa has some fascinating history and culture to be experienced, not to mention the exceptional scenery provided by the Andes.
One of the highlights is the Monastery of Santa Catalina, which was built back in the 16th century. Nuns still live in the complex, which is renowned for its vivid coloured walls and fascinating cloisters.
Another great place to visit in Arequipa is the Museum of Andean Sanctuaries, which has an extensive collection of mummies and artefacts from the time of the Incan Empire. One of the main draws for tourists is the Dama de Ampato - or the Ice Maiden of Ampato - which was discovered at the top of a mountain close to Arequipa.
Monasterio de la Recoleta is likewise worth a visit, as it is a 17th century convent that has now been transformed into a museum. Guests can expect to see mummies, masks and other archaeological finds from the surrounding area.
After a day of exploring Arequipa, tourists may want to check into the Casa Andina Private Collection for great luxury and service. The building was formerly a mint house and is now considered to be one of the best hotels in Peru. Features include a restaurant, two courtyards and a rooftop terrace. The hotel has been restored to retain many of its original features.
Senior and imperial suites within the hotel are contained within the original colonial manor house, while superior rooms and suites are in a more modern wing of the establishment. All rooms feature a bath tub, telephone, hairdryer, climate control, mini bar, free WiFi, coffee making facilities, sound-proof windows and Cable televisions.
- Oct. 7th, 2011Settle for nothing but luxury in Cusco
- Oct. 6th, 2011Fine architecture awaits in Peru's White City
- Oct. 5th, 2011Experience classic Peru with a hassle-free tour
- Oct. 4th, 2011Ballestas Islands: Peru's answer to the Galapagos
- Oct. 3th, 2011Changes afoot at Machu Picchu?
- Oct. 3th, 2011Experience colonial charm at Libertador Trujillo
- Sep. 30th, 2011Get close to nature at the Manu Wildlife Center
- Sep. 29th, 2011Rise in luxury Peru holidays recorded
- Sep. 28th, 2011Sample the lap of luxury in Lima
- Sep. 27th, 2011Beachside luxury awaits at DCO Suites
- Sep. 26th, 2011Find shoppers' paradise on a trip to Lima
- Sep. 23th, 2011Experience Colca Canyon in true style
- Sep. 22th, 2011Miraflores Park Hotel welcomes new menu
- Sep. 21th, 2011Explore the wilderness of the Peruvian Amazon
- Sep. 20th, 2011Puno is not to be missed
- Sep. 20th, 2011Incan culture and research centre to open 'next month'
- Sep. 19th, 2011Dine in style on luxury Peru tours
- Sep. 16th, 2011Arequipa offers a wealth of things to do
- Sep. 15th, 2011Lima strives to become South American transport hub
- Sep. 14th, 2011Travel Machu Picchu in style