While Machu Picchu is undoubtedly the most famous destination for those taking luxury Peru holidays, there are a few less well-known but equally beautiful sites to visit nearby.
According to the International Business Times, Choquequirao is "essentially Machu Picchu without the crowds", with similar views of terraced stone and emerald mountaintops.
As there is no rail connection to the ruins, travellers are advised to get a guide from the city of Cusco.
Meanwhile, the sites of Llactapata and Vitcos are similarly well worth the time and effort they take to reach, with the latter home to the stunning Yurac Rumi, or White Rock - a 50 foot-long boulder that bears ancient Incan carvings and was one of the first clues that led to the discovery of Machu Picchu.
Cusco is the ideal base from which to visit all of these sites, and the Casa Cartagena offers a stylish and contemporary place to stay with a spa, sauna and massage rooms to unwind in after a long day's hiking.
- Sep. 13th, 2011Luxury is never far away from Peru's Sacred Valley
- Sep. 12th, 2011Tours of Lima's presidential palace prove a hit
- Sep. 12th, 2011Photo opportunities aplenty in Puno
- Sep. 9th, 2011Peru tourism sites to benefit from investment
- Sep. 8th, 2011Get close to the Incas in Cusco
- Sep. 7th, 2011Peru: An unexplored beach destination
- Sep. 2th, 2011Do something different in Colca Canyon
- Sep. 1th, 2011Get a bird's-eye view over the Nazca Lines
- Aug. 31th, 2011Suspected meteorite seen in skies over Cusco
- Aug. 30th, 2011Peruvian handicrafts find their way to South America
- Aug. 24th, 2011Explore the mysterious, ancient Nazca Lines on luxury holidays in Peru
- Aug. 23th, 2011Luxury Peru tours of Colca Canyon offer natural beauty, isolation and adventure
- Aug. 22th, 2011Discover Peru's hidden treasures of Choquequirao and Vitcos
- Aug. 19th, 2011Cusco offers a variety of experiences
- Aug. 19th, 2011South America boasts many must-see destinations
- Aug. 19th, 2011Be environmentally-aware on trips to the Galapagos
- Aug. 18th, 2011Mendoza offers a year-round holiday destination
- Aug. 17th, 2011Arequipa's eateries offer much to write home about
- Aug. 16th, 2011Animal spotting is a must on luxury holidays in South America
- Aug. 15th, 2011Corumbau offers the finest relaxation